Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Television Rules

I'm going to dedicate the next few posts to creating my set of rules for my June media fast. As I've already said, I can't realistically shut down all media anymore than I can avoid breathing pollution. I'm just trying to stop breathing straight from the tailpipe for a month.

Anyway, let's start with TV. Since I'm the one who usually turns it on, I can stop that. However, while I'm in the house, the kids have the TV on, so I can't avoid it completely. What I will avoid is "active watching" of the TV. If the kids are watching TV and want to spend some time with me, I'll propose an alternate activity.

What about DVDs? We are netflix subscribers and have a BluRay player in the form of a Sony Playstation 3 (love that device!). I will not initiate any movie watching, but if my wife insists and doesn't want to engage in an alternate activity like walking the dog, visiting the neighbors, or whatever, I will sit down and watch the movie with her AFTER proposing a minimum of 3 alternative activities.

She usually will give me a pass on the chick flicks if I'll rub her feet for the first 1/2 hour or so. So, my 2nd rule with these movies is that I'll always take the opportunity to exit the situation when given it.

That should pretty much cover my TV watching.

No comments: