Tuesday, May 20, 2008

What am I going to get out of this?

When popular media pushes its way into your life, there are things that get pushed out. I have several nasty habits linked to my shameless consumption of media, which is the whole reason I'm doing this thing.

Weight Loss
I'm about 60 lbs over my ideal weight. I would be happy to lose about 40 of that. Over the past year, I've lost about 10 of those pounds. I have a bad habit of eating while unwinding and watching TV at night. Usually when I blow my diet, it happens while watching TV, mostly because I lose portion control (hey, what happened to that bag of chips? Oh crap!).

Reading Good Books
Let's face it. When I'm playing a video game, I'm not reading books. I'll probably reach my scripture study goals and polish of a few other tomes that I'm partially through and meant to finish but never did.

Family Relationships
When I'm listening to music or watching TV, I'm not listening to my wife, or my kids, even though we may be doing it together. I'll probably learn a lot about them during the month.

Dog Health
Let's face it. When I'm surrounded by media, I'm going to get out of the house - what's the quickest way? Walk the dog. Heck, I might even meet some of my neighbors.

More Ideas
During those silent commutes back and forth to work or the store, my mind will wander, I'll think about life's challenges, and I'll probably come up some ideas.

Relationship With God
I'm a man of faith. While I mentioned scripture study, I'll probably also find more time for prayer and turning my thoughts to God. This is the one I'm most curious about. I know that the Spirit doesn't stay with you when you are distracted by the noise of this world. I imagine I will have more moments of spiritual reflection and communion with God.

No comments: