Thursday, May 8, 2008

What's the big idea?

I'm convinced that popular culture is dangerous to my mental (and, perhaps physical) health. So, I'm going to embark on a journey to detoxify myself by "unplugging" for 30 days... the month of June, 2008, precisely.
What does that mean?
Look to the posting on rules (and, please comment), but it means that I'm going to free myself, as much as possible, from the instruments of popular culture.
But, you say, isn't it a bit of a contradiction to use a blog (especially with video clips) to do this? Yes, but modern life is a mass of hypocrisy, so, what the heck.
In short, I'm going to de-tether myself from as many of the instruments of mental destruction as possible. That includes:
  • Television (the big one)
  • Movies
  • The Internet (outside of what I use for work)
  • Radio (ouch - very long rides in the car)
  • Comic books (not a big temptation)
  • Popular music (good-bye iPod)
  • Etc.

No comments: