Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Day 9 - Thinking my own thoughts

I finally got the music out of my head, and I've noticed one thing: I'm thinking more of my own thoughts. When I was absorbing so much media, I think I had a lot of ideas scripted in my head. Now, when I hear something, I consider it more.

I've fallen completely behind on the news. The only news I get now is by asking other people about what is going on. That is how I found out about the salmonella-tomatoe crisis, about Hillary dropping out of the presidential race, and a few other things. I probably don't know most of the news and I don't get jokes about things that are in the news.

I'm still in Arizona for the DSA convention. I went to the hotel fitness facility to workout this morning and, unfortunately, right in front of the elliptical trainer there was a big flat-screen TV with CNN blaring on it. I had no escape. The funny thing to me was that I realized how little I was missing. There is a water spout off the coast of Hollywood, Florida and they kept that picture on the screen even while giving the news on presidential candidates, the stock market, and the Saudi oil meeting.

It made me laugh because I know what was going on. Every time they would switch away from the coverage of the waterspout, their Neilsen real-time monitoring system showed a drop in audience, so some director in the studio was yelling "get that damn spout back up." I have a friend who analyzes consumer reaction data for news shows (down to which tie the anchor should be wearing) and I'm sure he would have had a field day with that one.

Over the weekend I spent some time playing the piano. My mom has a book of Italian songs that I play from and I played "Ritorna a Sorrento." I wouldn't say the song is stuck in my head, because there are a lot of others I pull out of my memory and listen to inside of my brain, now including children's church songs like Jesus Once Was A Little Child and Families Can Be Together Forever.

No comments: